[Wikipedia-l] "Approved" versions on Wikipedia FAQ

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Aug 31 09:13:24 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> Andrew Gray wrote:
>
>> You might want to clarify what "new and anonymous" means - is this
>> going to be a time-lapse job like sprotection, or a manually enabled
>> flag? Because people may well assume the latter, and SFAIK that isn't
>> being considered...
>

> O rly? I understood it would indeed be a "tick each and every edit
> before it shows by default" thing. I guess the feature isn't finished
> yet then.
>
> (I like the idea of it being queued for approval for a few days and
> passing through then if it hasn't already - but note me not working on
> the code.)

The exact details will depend on the community's discussion and decisions. Which
of course is why a FAQ at this point is very hard to answer. ;) The question is
still pretty open-ended.

But most likely there will be a combination of automated time delays,
vandalism-detection heuristics, and of course manual checking.

Most importantly, please remember that the latest versions on any
reviewed/approved/time-delayed/whatever page will *ALWAYS* be available to
everyone, at most one click away.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)