[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Re: Multilingual error messages

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:47:50 UTC 2005

I'm not sure what's wrong with using Javascript to get the user's
Accept-Language.

I just set mine to Italian, and yet the error page still comes up in
English, and for an Italian version I have to click a link.

Mark

On 28/09/05, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/05, Rowan Collins <rowan.collins at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, as I just discovered looking for something else, you can always
> > "use the source, look":
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wikipedia/tools/downtime/language-support.php?view=markup
>
> Nope, that's not it at all. I had no idea that existed! Except that
> one's for site maintenance rather than for unexpected errors.
>
> When Squid encounters an error (which makes up a substantial
> proportion of downtime errors) it is configured to spit out a bland
> HTML page. It can't serve images or PHP scripts or anything of that
> nature: all we can have is a plain old HTML file :) The problem there
> is that we cannot use a server-side script to detect a user's language
> preferences. The only way to detect languages on the client-side is
> through Javascript, and that only reports the language used by the
> user's browser. Internet Explorer users have a better deal here,
> because IE can also return the language setting set by the user in the
> Control Panel (which is more likely to reflect the language the user
> is most comfortable with using).
>
> For a preview, use the following URL:
> http://www.mindspillage.net/braindump/friends/error-utf8.htm
>
> I don't expect it to remain up on Mindspillage's webspace for long.
> She has been very generous in allowing me the use of that webspace for
> testing and really does deserve a cookie.
>
> ~Mark Ryan

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE