[Wikipedia-l] Re: No more new Wikipedias !

Traroth traroth at yahoo.fr
Mon Sep 26 15:05:57 UTC 2005

--- Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> a
écrit :

> In all three cases, the majority of speakers are
> accustomed to obtaining
> information in a national language. Even if we
> create it, the Wikipedia
> in Waray-Waray or Neapolitan will never be
> comparable in size to the
> Wikipedia in English or Italian. So regardless of
> what we do, they'll
> have to continue to obtain most of their information
> in the same way.
> The function of these wikis, it seems to me, would
> be pride rather than
> education. That's not the function I volunteered to
> promote when I
> signed up with Wikipedia.

And cultural conservation ? Avoiding the vanishing of
languages is a good purpose, in my opinion. In your
hypothesis, if we look at the extrem case, why to
start a wikipedia in another language than english,
since more and more people speak this language ? Just
learn english, and you will have access to wikipedia !

> > These requests have many supporters, native
> speaker support
> > (especially in the case of Ladino and Neapolitan,
> where heaps of
> > native speakers dropped by to show their support),
> and no opposition.
>
> There are always many vocal supporters, and there
> are always people who
> are silently opposed. Or rather, they are silent
> until those in power
> give in to the lobby and create new wikis, and then
> they open up with
> ridicule and criticism. We've seen it many times
> before.

People who are silently opposed ? What does it mean ?
They are opposed, but not enough to express their
opposition. I call that "people who don't care"...

> -- Tim Starling

Traroth