[Wikipedia-l] Re: No more new Wikipedias !

Arbeo M arbeo_m at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 24 19:12:08 UTC 2005

--- Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au>
schrieb:

> I've stated my position on new language wikis, and
> we've been through
> all the arguments before. Just because I'm no longer
> interested in
> arguing every case, or putting my name on the oppose
> votes, doesn't mean
> I've changed my mind.
>
> I created 5 new Wikipedias in June because I
> received a request from a
> Wikimedia Board member. If I receive another such
> specific request, I'll
> carry it out. I do that out of loyalty to them, not
> because I think it
> contributes to our mission.

Hi Tim!

This is a very definite answer. Thanks for talking
straight!

If this the current attitude of Wikipedia's
decision-makers on the issue I'll accept it, of
course. However, I think the fact that Wikipedias for
new languages are created solely upon requests from
Wikimedia board members needs to be annouced to the
"general public". Because, at the moment, most users
don`t seem to be aware of this fact (at least I wasn't
as yet). Several pages like e. g.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:How_to_start_a_new_Wikipedia
still create a very different impression, i. e. that
you _can_ actually have a new WP in your language if
you request it, find supporters, convince the
community etc. Given the reality you just informed me
about, that's quite misleading. I guess we should
change those pages so they don't cause people to put a
lot of time and effort into projects that don't have a
change of success.

Regards,

Arbeo