[Wikipedia-l] No more new Wikipedias !

Arbeo M arbeo_m at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 23 13:30:35 UTC 2005

... at least not for the past three months or so.

In the past you only had to drop the name of some
language you'd heard of and a new wiki for that
language was created right away. This surely wasn't a
very intelligent approach, for it left us with quite a
number of inactive Wikipedias.

Nowadays, it's the opposite extreme: there are heaps
of requests that have been discussed very thoroughly
by the community (cf.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages).
Some of them are pretty well-qualified and supported
by numerous native speakers willing to contribute.
However, not a single new Wikipedia has been set up
for quite a while now.

Some time ago there had been a remark that it was hard
for our developers to recognize which new language
proposals can be considered as accepeted by the
community (and therefore created). That's why I made a
separate page intended to list languages that
unambiguously qualify for a new wiki (cf.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages).
Since this can be a controversial question I only
placed those cases there that are 100 % unequivocal
(at least 5 supporters, at least 2 native speakers,
ISO code, no objections, etc.).

I then also mailed to wikitech-I asking for the
creation of the Neapolitan WP (in which I have no
personal interest whatsoever), just to start with the
one that seems to have the highest number of editors
waiting to get started. I got only one reply and that
one was not really helpful.

A few days ago, user ILVI filed his request for the
installation of the Ladino Wikipedia (another one that
qualifies without any doubt) at wikitech-l. He got no
reply at all.

Before any misunderstandings might arise: I know that
our developers are extremely busy (and AFAIK unpaid,
too - good gosh...). I was just wondering if somebody
has an idea how we could remedy this situation and
maybe have, like, one new WP per month (so we don't
lose too many potential new contributors)?

Regards,

Arbeo