[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Wikipedia English English

Jack & Naree jack.macdaddy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:12:15 UTC 2005

"note" vs "bill" -- "bill" would probably not be understood in the UK,
WRONG
but referring to them as notes would be understood in the US.
SO WOULD "SAYONARA", BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S PART OF THE SAME LANGUAGE.
"maths" vs "math" -- any good encyclopaedia should always say
"mathematics" rather than abbreviating it so lazily.
THE DIFFERENCE STILL EXISTS
"autumn" vs "fall" -- we use them both as synonyms on this side of the
pond. You guys don't?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
"bank holiday" vs "legal holiday" -- I've lived in the US my entire
life, and I've never even heard of the latter
NEITHER HAVE I.
"tick" vs "check" -- not the same thing. a check is a distinct symbol,
as is a tick, and they are two different symbols.
VERB: "TICK A BOX"; "CHECK A BOX" IS NOT USED IN UK
"pissed off" vs "pissed" -- WTF!? first of all, this won't be found in
most encyclopaedia articles. second of all, we say both here.
WE DON'T
"trousers" vs "pants" -- although we consider "trousers" to be a bit
old-fashioned, it will be widely understood here. I did used to think
it meant shoes though.
AGAIN, JUST 'COS IT'S UNDERSTOOD DOES NOT MEAN IT'S THE SAME LANGUAGE
"pedestrian crossing" vs "crosswalk" -- we use both here.
WE DON'T.
"store" vs "shop" -- this is probably the lamest one on there.
NO IT ISN'T. THEY MEAN DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT THINGS.
"STORE" IS AN AMERICANISM FOR SHOP.
"chemist" vs "drug store" -- "chemist" isn't common here, but it's
better than "apothecary", which is probably less ambiguous than either
of the other two.
SO, "A DRUG STORE" IN THE UK WOULD ATTRACT THE ATTENTION OF THE POLICE.
"bill" vs "check" -- uhh... we use both.
WRONG AGAIN, THESE ARE VERBS.
".co.uk" vs ".com" -- that's not a linguistic difference. There are
plenty of UK companies that have a .com, as it's supposed to be
international (as opposed to .us)
IS ".GOV" INTERNATIONAL? OR OFFICIAL AMERICAN DOMINATION OF THE INTERNET?
"car" vs "automobile" -- we usually just say "car" here. only people
like you say "automobile".
NOBODY SAYS AUTOMOBILE IN THE UK, NOT EVEN ME.
"jug" vs "pitcher" -- absolut rediculos~!
WHY? EVEN IF IDENTICAL WORDS ARE USED, THEY DO NOT NECESSERY HAVE THE SAME
OR SIMILAR MEANINGS.

I could go on. But I'm getting bored. You're mad. End of story
YES, YOU COULD GO NO BEING WRONG. YOU ARE WRONG, END OF STORY.

I confess I haven't read it all, but half of your "rebuttles" are frankly,
bollocks.