[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon Sep 19 18:18:53 UTC 2005

James R. Johnson wrote:
> When I went to London, I did have to ask what a secre tree was (any relation
> to the oak tree?).  And a labora tree and an observa tree and a 'lie bree'
> and the 'straw bree'... :)  Were I able to stay longer, perhaps I would have
> understood better.

Since English is really a dialect of French, a lie bree is probably a
place where you buy your books, as it is in any "proper language" (-:

> And at least we pronounce the 'r' at the ends of words. :)

Like I said, English English English English is a dialect of French (-:

I find the concept of "proper English" quite funny, because
if there is one language that is not properly pronounced ([[en:List of
names in English with non-intuitive pronunciations]] would be quite
short in, say, Italian.

Gerrit.

--
Temperature in Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden:
| Current temperature   05-09-19 20:09:53   10.0 degrees Celsius ( 50.0F) |