[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:44:49 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:
> On 19/09/05, Jack & Naree <jack.macdaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Actually, we don't have a Wikipedia in Klingon.
>>
>> that's a surprise
>

> Why?

I think we have an inclusionist on our hands :)

>>>Actually, the policy is (or at least was):
>>>
>>>* If subject of article is British (or other Commonwealth
>>>English)-related, use Commonwealth English.
>>>* If subject of article is USian, use US English
>>>* If neither applies, majority style (in case both are used) of original
>>>author is preferred.
>>
>> And what of "Aubergines" and "Eggplants"? "Colour" and "Color"
>

> See the 3rd rule. However the original author of the article writes
> it. Colour and color aren't that big of a deal. Any mention of
> "eggplant" or "aubergine" can note the other variant in parentheses,
> although I have a sneaking suspicioun that in the commounwealthe the
> werde "eggplant" will be understode wel enough.

Er, Mark, have you been drinking, or have the CIA been reading your
email again? :)

Besides, to many English speakers in the Commonwealth "Aubergine" is an
unknown term. It certainly was to me until I learnt the word in French
back in high school :)

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign