[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia English English

Stephen Forrest stephen.forrest at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:17:28 UTC 2005

On 9/19/05, Jack & Naree <jack.macdaddy at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
> fact displaying it in a dialect of English - we've got Wikipedia in
> Scots, Wikipedia in Middle English, but when you click on Wikipedia
> English, you get spelling errors, sloppy grammar and garbled syntax;
> in short the American dialect of English, trying to hijack the term
> English.

Just wanted to point out that there is not, as yet, any Middle English
wikipedia.

Middle English does have an ISO 639 language code, enm.  But I
wouldn't even want to think about how a wikipedia would work, given
the number of variant spellings -- Anglo-Saxon was at least usually
spelled consistently within a dialect, but the confusion introduced by
the Norman Conquest left Middle English writers seemingly making up
spellings as they went along.

Steve