[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia faces key test: corruption in wikipedia

Tomasz Wegrzanowski taw at users.sf.net
Sun Sep 18 15:56:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:19:35AM -0400, Stirling Newberry wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Delirium wrote:
> >Hyperbolize much?
> >
> >Occam's razor might suggest that Brion manually doing DB queries to
> >insert pornographic images in your name is not the most likely
> >explanation.  You picking a bad password is a more likely one,
> >among many others.
>
> You didn't check carefully - the edit history shows that the image
> was last updated in March, when, in fact, the pornographic image has
> only been in place for a few hours. Or do you think that it would
> have been left on my user page for months with no one commenting on it?

Nothing to see, please move along.

The comments for the blog entry explain that it was just
a very bad misinterpretation of the facts by Stirling.

The only reason it was interesting was a possible existence
of an MediaWiki exploit in the wild. Nothing in this case even
remotely suggests it, however.