[Wikipedia-l] Sample ASL/English entry

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 16:53:55 UTC 2005

On 9/16/05, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is *no* generally accepted orthography for any of the signed
> languages. Even the computer generated videos are not generally
> accepted.

Then it sounds to me like ASL is not yet mature enough, as a language,
to merit a Wikipedia of its own.  If ASL signers are not willing to
accept synthetic signing, then I suggest that they need to adjust
their attitudes (or else improve the quality of sign synthesis
software).  It's not practical to record hundreds of thousands of
videos to facilitate access for a relatively small community.  Also,
having to rerecord the video every time an edit is required basically
means that the ASL Wikipedia won't be a true Wikipedia, just a
translation of parts of the English Wikipedia.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's not unreasonable for us to
expect the deaf community to "meet us halfway" on this issue.

Kelly