[Wikipedia-l] Re: Treat like Hieroglyphics (was Re: new request for ASL/English wikipedia)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Sep 14 17:49:01 UTC 2005

Craig Franklin wrote:

>SignWriting looks like the best system as far as intelligibility goes, but
>isn't it copyrighted?  I mean, I know that the creator has made it free for
>use and all (see http://signwriting.org/about/questions/quest0004.html ),
>but doesn't that still make it ineligible for use in a Wikimedia project?
>It would be like using a special copyrighted ortography for English, or a
>copyrighted conlang (Toki Pona, anyone?).

He seems to say in that link that he *doesn't* claim any ownership of
the writing system itself.  In any case, the free to use for anybody
sort of license is basically like the "BSD-style" licenses (or cc-by
without -sa), which is compatible with both the GFDL and the general
free-content philosophy.

-Mark