[Wikipedia-l] Re: Treat like Hieroglyphics (was Re: new request for ASL/English wikipedia)

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Wed Sep 14 10:54:22 UTC 2005

Scríobh Phil Boswell:

>I wondered whether it could be possible to create a SignWriting extension
>Mediawiki, along the same lines as WikiHiero, which used SWML as the
source.
>This would at the very least allow us to display the signs in articles
about
>them, and might provide some sort of kick-start for more extensive usage.

SignWriting looks like the best system as far as intelligibility goes, but
isn't it copyrighted?  I mean, I know that the creator has made it free for
use and all (see http://signwriting.org/about/questions/quest0004.html ),
but doesn't that still make it ineligible for use in a Wikimedia project?
It would be like using a special copyrighted ortography for English, or a
copyrighted conlang (Toki Pona, anyone?).

Yet another issue that must be addressed, I suppose.

Cheers,
- Craig [[en:Lankiveil]]

Craig Franklin
PO Box 764