[Wikipedia-l] New request for Cantonese Wikipedia: vote at 29-6

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 12 16:30:35 UTC 2005

Paweł Dembowski wrote:

>>Well, we still wouldn't split the two, because it's still lunacy to split.
>>

>Why don't we just have a Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia then instead of
>separate ones for each dialect?

There already is a Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia.  Leaving aside the question
of Cyrillic Serbian what it would take would be for the various flavours
of Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian nationalism to start contributing to
the common project, and letting the separate projects fade into
obscurity.  You won't accomplish anything by shutting down the separate
projects and telling the participants that they can only contribute to
the common one.  It is difficult in an area that has centuries of
experience at stressing differences to suddenly shift gears into a
common enterprise.  Tito had the sort of personality that could enforce
this, but it didn't last long after his death.

In the short run it will take individuals who are willing to copy and
consolidate articles from the three separate projects, preferably
beginning with non-controversial subjects.

Ec