[Wikipedia-l] New request for Cantonese Wikipedia: vote at 29-6

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:22:06 UTC 2005

On 9/12/05, Paweł Dembowski <fallout at lexx.eu.org> wrote:
> > Well, we still wouldn't split the two, because it's still lunacy to split.
>
> Why don't we just have a Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia then instead of
> separate ones for each dialect?

Oh, but we do have that! We have BOTH a Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia (sh:)
AND separate Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian ones. Which I think is a
HIGHLY undesirable situation.

For this reason I have locked the Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia half a year
ago, but the pressure to unlock it got too strong, so I unlocked it
again. But only under protest. I think we should either have sh: or
sr+bs+hr:, but not both.

By the way, there is an issue with the Chinese languages there too -
if we get a separate Kantonese Wikipedia, we should not keep a Chinese
one alongside. Rather, we should make that into a Mandarin Wikipedia,
or even better, move each article to whatever language it has been
written in.

Andre Engels