[Wikipedia-l] new request for ASL/English wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:45:18 UTC 2005

Brion Vibber wrote:

> HHamilto at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:
>
>> I am writing to request the establishment of an American Sign
>> Language-English bilingual Wikipedia. This will contain the written word
>> versions of articles (Englsih) and American Sign Language versions via
>> video. We have a dozen users ready to start building this powerful
>> resource
>> for deaf users and will be recruiting more.
>

> There is no software to support such a thing at present.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Hoi,
I like to remind you that Kennisnet offered to host streaming content
for the WMF. We have not taken them up on that one yet because so far
*we* felt no need. When we want to investigate the possibilities of
hosting videos containing sign languages, it is something we should at
least investigate a but. I have cc-d Jan-Bart of Kennisnet and I also
copied Wolfgang Georgsdorf who spoke about Wikisign on Wikimania and
with whom I worked towards including signlanguages in the Ultimate
Wiktionary.

Thanks,
    GerardM