[Wikipedia-l] Lingala Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:18:04 UTC 2005

> > I don't know what action needs to be taken, but I'm pretty sure that
> > something should be done.
>
> Personally, I have little problems with the bilingual interface,
> although I would assume that it gets changed once the 'real' Lingala
> editors start getting to be the majority.

But, wouldn't it be better if it were monolingual, and people who need
to use French can select that in their user preferences? Obviously,
nobody at mi.wikipedia speaks better Maori than English, yet the
interface is not bilingual there -- it's all Maori.

Also, the "uselang" can be added to the end of URLs and the interface
will appear in that language.

> However, the articles that are in English or French seem to me to not
> be the intention of a Lingala Wikipedia. There may be one or two
> exceptions (perhaps some pages about the language itself?), and one
> could put a page there that one intends to translate, but that latter
> should also not be more than 1 or 2 pages per editor.
>
> I think the pages should be either removed, or replaced by stubs in
> Lingala, with perhaps a link to the English or French article for more
> information.

You mean interwiki liens? ;)

Mark