[Wikipedia-l] Project: This wikipedia-related article is a stub...

Roger Luethi collector at hellgate.ch
Wed Sep 7 17:18:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:02:27 +0200, Boris Lohnzweiger wrote:
> Annoyingly, it's true that a few users at de: seem to do nothing else

Those "few users" sure set the tone on deletion discussions.

> the verge of being blocked AFAIK. What I wanted to point out is that
> these outrages by no means reflect the spirit of the German WP. The

They appear to reflect the spirit on [[de:WP:LK]] quite well.

There are several examples just among those listed for deletion today:

* [[de:Castorama]] (two sentences on a French retailer)
* [[de:Barstede]] (two sentences on a place in Germany)
* [[de:Rollins Band]] (band stub)

Each has been listed by a different editor (two of them admins). For
each case, the motivation given for deletion was insufficient content,
_not_ notability. There weren't exactly many other editors complaining
about this "outrage", either.

In two cases, the articles were given 7 days to improve (common
procedure on WP:de). Castorama was still pending when I checked, with
discussion going forth and back. It might be instructive to try and
vfd [[en:Castorama]] in the English WP (exact same content, except for
the language).

And that's only for today, with cases that are fairly tame -- not much
would be lost with the deletion of any of these stubs. I have seen the
same pattern with stubs that in my opinion were quite useful. In most
cases, stubs deserving an article end up being expanded rather than
deleted, so the end result is positive. But it is a fact that WP:de is
not a friendly place for short stubs, at least compared to WP:en.

Roger