[Wikipedia-l] Project: This wikipedia-related article is a stub...

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Sep 6 18:50:06 UTC 2005

Boris Lohnzweiger wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>

>>The German WP doesn't keep articles
>>just because the subject is notable. If an article is too short, it
>>will get deleted unless someone expands it (IIRC a time limit of a few
>>days is quite common).
>>

>This is not correct. There are a number of two or three line articles that have been on the German Wikipedia for at least a year and nobody is planning to delete them. According to German WP deletion rules shortness doesn't justify a deletion and deletion is only a means of last resort ("letztes Mittel") if other measures fail. If it weren't that way, would we have almost 300,000 articles then?

The conclusion that I take away from this thread is that yes,
each wikipedia has its own culture and preferred practices, and
it would be extraordinarily useful to have articles describing
all that. Even just a translated summary of distinctive policy
pages would be helpful to people who are not fluent in the other
WP's language. For instance, if I were interested in whether the
Russian WP accepts "fair use" images, an English WP article on
the Russian WP would probably be a more reliable way to find out
than by posting an English-language question on the Russian
equivalent of village pump.

Stan