[Wikipedia-l] New request for Cantonese Wikipedia: vote at 29-6

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Mon Sep 5 21:13:30 UTC 2005

> I think it is only fair to allow
>the people on those projects to at least be aware of a proposal which
>is liable to take away editors from their own wiki.
>
>Angela.

I found our policy with regards to Chinese languages stranger and
stranger. We do not do this if we open another Germanic or Romanic
language pedia! Why do we do this with sinetic languages? The Manderin
wikipedia is a large one! The loss of a few editors will not really
detrimentally effect them. The government in Beijing is against
promotion of any Sinetic  language but Mandarin. It is known that a
couple of Chinese editors from mainland China have been frustrating any
opening of any Sinetic language pedia in the past.

Waerth/Walter