[Wikipedia-l] Re: Copyright violations at download.wikimedia.org

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon May 30 02:40:03 UTC 2005

Interestingly enough, the only time I pilfered text from an essay I
wrote (for something other than WP) that is widely available, and used
it on WP, nobody ever caught it and introduced the possibility of a
copyvio - it still stands.

Mark

On 29/05/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Kate Turner (keturner at livejournal.com) [050530 08:37]:
> > Gregory Maxwell wrote in gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc:
>
> > > As a result our database contains large quantities of violating
> > > material.
>
> > my understand of the relevant US law is that we are not required to
> > aggressively remove copyright violations until requested by the copyright
> > holder.
>
> If someone ever codes the facility to zap old revisions easily, we could
> deal with such without great pain. The main barrier at present is that
> zapping old revs entails deleting the article then restoring all revs
> except the offender. On a heavily-trafficked page this present obvious
> logistical problems.
>
> Our proactive approach, though, does stand us in good stead should we ever
> end up in a courtroom. Generally the copyvio page is *rabid* and that's
> good. Even if on many occasions the author of a given text has to point out
> they're the editor that added it to Wikipedia ;-)
>

> - d.

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE