[Wikipedia-l] Re: Jimbo interview on NPR Friday?

Till Westermayer till at tillwe.de
Sun May 29 10:58:00 UTC 2005

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .

Hi Delirium,

>Not true.  The official website of Texas <http://www.state.tx.us/>
>is in both Spanish and English, and this is true of many states
>with large Spanish-speaking populations.  Every ballot I've ever
>used to vote in an election (I'm from Texas) was printed in both
>English and Spanish; in the last election, my absentee ballot came
>with a Vietnamese version as well.  All government buildings have
>their signs in both English and Spanish.  Basically, there is no
>official piece of communication you can get from the Texas state
>government that does not have every word of English translated to
>Spanish, and in the Houston area Vietnamese is often included as
>well.

>(Compare the uproar that would ensue if a European country allowed
>people to vote using Turkish-language ballots.)

While that is uncommon, information about the election is presented in
most immigrant languages commonly, here too.

 __ .
 / / / /                            ... Till Westermayer - till we *)
. .
  . mailto:till at tillwe.de . www.westermayer.de/till/ . icq 320393072
  . Hirschstraße 5. 79100 Freiburg . 0761 55697152 . 0160 96619179
  . . . . .