[Wikipedia-l] GFDL Clarification

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Fri May 27 17:33:27 UTC 2005

Hi all.  The file SchapelleCorbyInCell.jpg which is used in article
[[Schapelle Corby]] has been flagged for removal.  I am surprised at this
as it had previously been tagged with "non-free permission to use".

I was the one who obtained permission to use this image (and two others)
from Mercedes Corby, Schapelle's sister.  I had intended to get the status
of the images clarified but I must admit I had not considered it a high
priority as I felt we had at least the equivalent of fair use.

Anyway I now reproduce part of the conversation between Mercedes Corby and
myself in which she allowed permission for the images to be used:

I said "I'd like to use a picture in the [Wikipedia] article. Would you be
able to provide a picture of Schapelle that can be legally used in the
Wikipedia article (ie, without copyright concerns)? If such a picture is
available just email it back to me".

Mercedes Responded (in part): "Attached is a photo taken at Schapelle's
cell. This was taken by our camera.. Also if you are able to find the
photo on the web of Schapelle, brother James and 2 freinds Katrina and
Ally that was taken by Mums camera at the Brisbane airport so that one is
fine to use aswell."

Attached to the email from Mercedes were 2 of the 3 images I uploaded to
Wikipedia, the 3rd being the mentioned group image which I did locate.

After reviewing the wording of my request and Mercedes' response it is my
contention the pictures are licenced under the GFDL.

Comments?

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.