[Wikipedia-l] Izynews and template "For wikipedia use only"

Stephen Forrest stephen.forrest at gmail.com
Fri May 27 19:07:29 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
> Putting images under a "for wikipedia use only" has a name. It is called
> a "copyright". So, in creating a tag "for wikipedia use only" to tag your
> pictures, you are specifically putting copyrighted content in Wikipedia.
> This is not alright as our goal is to provide "free" content.

I think it would be beneficial to be clearer about what you mean here.
 When you use 'copyrighted' in this and following paragraphs, you
appear to not be referring to copyrighted works in general, but
non-free copyrighted works.

Any image released under the GFDL or any Creative Commons licence must
be copyrighted; if it were not, it would be public domain.  Clearly we
want to encourage these sorts of images (most of them) on Wikipedia.
The three categories into which images and other works are divided
are:

(a) Public domain works
(b) Copyrighted works with 'free' licences (e.g. GFDL, certain
Creative Commons licences)
(c) Copyrighted works that are not 'free' (e.g. fair use images, and
all other images)

(where 'free' is, of course, free libre, not free gratuit)

Please use some phrase other than 'copyrighted' to describe category
(c).  There is already far too much confusion about the use of the
terms 'copyright' and 'public domain'.  We should really make a point
of trying to use precise terminology when proscribing behaviour.

Steve