[Wikipedia-l] Re: Jimbo interview on NPR Friday?

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 16:50:53 UTC 2005

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jeee, I feel better now that I said that... because it weighted on
> my
> stomach very much :-)

Good.

Now something that will make you understand a little bit more:

The US public knows very little, and is basically a bunch of
industrialized farmers.

The 5% that know what's going on know that English is just one of
many languages. But they are not the audience of the NPR and regular
news. NPR has this agenda (lofty I agree) to pull the unwashed masses
out of their self-inflicted morass. Regular news are for-profit.
Neither are targeting their news to the 5%.

I would not be surprised to hear that NPR editors flesh out their
stories by visiting wikipedia. (I have a sneaking suspicion they
might).

The typical American would be stunned to hear that there are more
than  3,000 languages with more than 1,000,000 speakers each in the
world today.

The typical American is brutish, swift to revenge and slow to
understand. This is why the news is watered down for them, otherwise
they just turn away with a blank stare in their eyes.

I get CCTV here, and their international news coverage is
spectacular.
(CCTV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Central_Television)

Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell