[Wikipedia-l] Article validation: allow IP ratings for the raw data phase

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 22 19:02:50 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>On 5/22/05, Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at web.de> wrote:
>

>>* Later, we will allow only logged-in users to rate articles, right?
>>Otherwise, we'll lose a great part of the perceived reliability
>>improvement, IMHO. But how can we really set up this system if the data
>>we use as a foundation for the decision is based on anon entries as well?
>>

>We can always collect anon votes but then exclude them from any
>decision making process.

In principle I have nothing against anon rating votes.  There could
still be a problem when someone wants to change his vote.  The changes
that are made to an article over time are the most likely reason for
changing a vote.  For a registered user this should be no problem; the
old vote is removed, and the new one added.  In the case of a dynamic IP
the old vote would not automatically be removed.

Ec