[Wikipedia-l] Re: Validation feature update

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 19:19:26 UTC 2005

David Gerard a écrit:
> Anthere (anthere9 at yahoo.com) [050522 01:49]:
>
>>David Gerard a écrit:
>

>>>It's editorial work on the project like any other. How good you are with
>>>ratings is as much part of your reputation as how good you are with edits.
>>>I don't see any reason *not* to make it as public as any other editorial
>>>work.
>>

>>What happen if a policy develops which allow only those who make good
>>average vote within community frame of vote...to vote ?
>>What I mean is that it goes further than editorial work....
>>Our list of contribution is not allowing any judgement on the quality of
>>the work we provide. It is a good way to access our work mostly. And a
>>measurement of our activity. There is no judgement.
>>Following the "grades" we give could lead to judgement by comparison of
>>what is done by the rest of the community. This is much more inquisitive.
>>Hence my interest in asking what will be exactly displayed.
>

> The answer is, we don't know what we want to show yet - hence the idea to
> gather data in version 1.5, release it for analysis (and you can be sure
> people will analyse the data any way they can think of - per page, per
> editor, per aspect, etc.) and see what would make sense to do with the data
> and how to present it.
>
> It's all hypothetical until we have actual data.
>

> - d.

Absolutely :-)
That does not mean we can start to think about it :-)

Say... I can say a couple of things I would love to see myself.
Out of the top of my imagination (even if I also know some of this is
not a good idea for technical reasons)

* how many hits a page received. How many coming from inside wikipedia,
how many from outside wikipedia

* evolution of access (for example, how many hits per month since the
creation of a page)

* a quickly visible number of authors who participated to an article
(how to count anon edits to be studied).

* Perhaps a ratio number of edits/age of the article

* links between categories between all languages and estimate on how
many pages are categorized in each language for each category (to see
for example how many french articles in the cooking category, versus
other languages) ... this possibly to estimate where translations could
be best to do ... so as to improve one category, rather than choosing
articles rather randomly.

* ...

The development should be led by the highest needs we can perceive...
not by what is made available.

Most of us agreed for this validation feature :-) I am very happy to be
able to see it soon anyway :-)

Note : it seems some of the results which could be drawn out of the data
you are mentionning... COULD REQUIRE an update of our privacy policy.

Cheers

Ant