[Wikipedia-l] Info on SORBS, blocking of open proxies

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:02:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:21:13 +0200, Elisabeth Bauer <elian at djini.de> wrote:
> Since yesterday the blocklist of SORBS is used on the wikimedia servers
> to block open proxies.

Are users able to login and then edit if they are behind a SORBS IP?

My guess is that we use SORBS because it is ineffective to play
wack-a-mole with IP banning on such offenders because there are so
many open proxies.  I would think that limiting these addresses to
edits by logged in users would be a more cautious position.

It would be unfortunate if we block a user for what he chooses to do
outside of wikipedia (for instance running an open proxy on his IP).
It is not necessarly true that all hosts listed in orbs are
misconfigured, I've seen a few 'first edits' to wikipedia take the
form of a warning that wikipedia is misconfigured. :)