[Wikipedia-l] incidently, talking about big principles...

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:10:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:48:23 -0800 (PST), Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I thought I was working for a project trying to gather
> free content so as to make free knowledge available ?
>
> So why are we using copyrighted pictures ?
>
> "This image is copyrighted. The copyright holder
> allows anyone to use it for any purpose, provided that
>  the copyright holder and image provider are credited.
>
> Image provided by hornyboy.com and copyright held by
> RudeBox Media, Inc."

"The copyright holder allows anyone to use it for any purpose,
provided that  the copyright holder and image provider are credited."

That is, the image is freely usable when giving the name of the
copyright holder. That's about as free as it gets without getting into
public domain. If we do not use copyrighted pictures, we should remove
those pictures under the GNU/FDL too. They are also copyrighted, but
the author allows their usage under certain preconditions. The same is
going on here, only the preconditions are less stringent.

Andre Engels