[Wikipedia-l] censorship and guidelines

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Mar 29 18:16:50 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

>Third solution : we all share a common goal of non censorship, but we admit we censor a little bit nevertheless and we admit that these decisions should be taken locally, by local communities.
>
>Needless to say, I am all for the third one. I think minorities opinions should always be considered, and the argument that the english wikipedia community is the bigger so should be the one to decide for other communities is not valid as far as I am concerned. We have common goals, we have common big rules, but we have essentially local applications of these rules.

But this is in itself a majority-rules view, in which minority opinions
in a language are ignored.  Languages only correlate weakly with
countries, and so what, for example, people from France say should not
automatically be the deciding factor in what the fr: Wikipedia does.
What French-speaking people from other countries say (and not just
countries that have French as an official language) should also be taken
into account.

Which is why, generally, I strongly oppose language-specific policies
that cater towards "local" sentiment, where "local" is defined as "the
dominant countries that speak the language".  This is fortunately
easiest in the en: Wikipedia, because the U.S. and U.K. are quickly
becoming less and less dominant in terms of English-speakers on the
internet, so will no longer be able to consider en: their "local"
Wikipedia, but a *global* one, but is still a major problem in many
other languages...

-Mark