[Wikipedia-l] Autofellatio

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 03:54:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:54:17 +0200, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to raise a little issue.
>
> It is currently possible to do redirection from all projects to one
> project image.

I believe Interwiki redirects should be made soft, I think there is
some degree of consensus here, so I'm not going to comment on that
matter further... However:

[snip]
> Many months ago, we made it impossible to link to external images,
> because we were fighting to avoid the goatse.
> Now, several wikipedias are dirtied by the pornographic images available
> on the english wikipedia.
> So, I suggest that
> * either we all agree to share common images, since they can impact us
> and in this case, I would like that a common vote is held to decide the
> deletion of this image from the english wikipedia
> * or we agree that no local projects should be submitted to the
> editorial choices made by other projects and redirections between
> projects should be cancelled
> * or we find a filtering solution, so that certain images not welcome to
> other projects may not be redirected.
>
> In case of all sensible images such as the autofellatio, it should be
> the project choice whether to display it or not. And I think the
> multiplication of complaints on the topic requires to think about a
> viable solution for all of us.

Let me suggest the correct course of action:

If your interest is to censor encyclopedic content on any wikimedia
wikipedia, then your goals are at odds with the goals of the
foundation.  Because you do not share the same goals, you should fork
and produce your own project with censorship among it's goals.

If you continue to endorse censorship you are harming the project.
Please allow those who want to share knowledge freely the ability to
do so on wikipedia by taking your censorship someplace else.

The claim that pages are somehow 'dirtied'  by a mere image speaks
strongly about your lack of neutral perspective.

Wiki vandalism is unfortunate, but it is not a sufficient cause to
reduce the available knowledge and the free exchange of information to
mankind. It is not an excuse for censorship.