[Wikipedia-l] Re: Latest wikinews : Wikimania, Wax

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 06:11:40 UTC 2005

Just an opinion Angela.

While it is a good idea to try to redirect people asking questions to
irc meetings, one would also realise that not everyone is available for
these irc meetings.

Most of the discussions about wikimania are done essentially privately
(semi privacy), on a specific irc channel, at specific times, on
specific wiki, with specific mailing list.

The result of it is that it is essentially organised by a small group of
  people, who (it seems to me) regret a bit that there are no more
people to help.

I think that in communication, it is important to maintain a link with
mainstream channels of discussion, and welcome off-site chat on
wikimania, so that people staying in the main stream channel are made
aware of wikimania and the work around it. If they read something which
raise their attention, they are more likely to follow you in the semi
private areas. While if each time they try to raise the discussion in
the main stream channel of communication, one tell them to keep these
question for the semi-private area.... chance is that they NEVER go to
the semi-private areas.

This is true for wikimania.

This is true for any work on grants which is conveniently secured on a
closed wiki.

This could be true to a certain extent for local association work, if
you keep it entirely off wiki.

And so on.

Just my opinion.

Multiplication of discussion place is cleaner, but less productive
sometimes. Imho.

PS: never being available at irc times for wikimania discussions, I do
not participate to its organisation, but for reminding people from time
to time it exists.