[Wikipedia-l] The value of Pronunciation

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:50:19 UTC 2005

Hoi,

More than 125 Italian politicians have now their own soundfile. They can
be found here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Italian_politician
More than 2500 words pronounced in Dutch can be found here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Dutch_pronunciation

The idea is that you cannot reliably pronounce a word as it it should be
pronounced just by seeing the characters when the word originated from
another language. By making these resources available, it is clear how
they should be pronounced in the original language. Having
pronunciations available is important because they help people study a
language and, the wikipedia articles are a great resource to learn a
language; they are short, cover a subject well and many of the related
words related to a subject can be found in the article.

We are thinking of what (sound) resources would be popular as well..
Soccer stars like Ruud Gullit ?? We have volunteers that may pronounce
them in Italian, German or Dutch.

We would REALLY like to have pronunciations for soccer stars because the pronunciations of these gentlemen is often really bad. It would be a fun project to have.

Thanks,
   GerardM