[Wikipedia-l] derivative works (Galoob v. Nintendo)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 21 19:53:55 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:

>There was an attempt to pass a bill through congress to protect
>databases and collections of information (such as phonebooks... would
>it include a dictionary though?) under copyright, but it didn't pass.
>
>So currently, I can make my own phonebook using the database from the
>phone company, sell it at $1mil each, and not be penalised.

Dictionaries have their own set of problems.  The Webster was frequently
in court during the late 19th century over infringements of its
copyrights.  It lost some significant cases.  Cookbooks also fall into
this class of works that are really a reflection of a society's
collective knowledge.  If I invent a dictionary definition that is
identical to what is found in a published dictionary I am not infringing
their copyright.  If that published dictionary is an obscure one I may
never have seen it, and my definition is original it's good.  Often the
definition may be the only one reasonably possible.  For many kinds of
works it is highly improbable that such a thing would happen.
Dictionaries and cookbooks are exceptions.  In the area of music (rather
than lyrics) cases often hinge on whether the defendant was familiar
with the plaintiff's work.  A definition in a modern paper dictionary
may itself be copied from an older public domain work, and therefore be
non-copyrightable.  Copying a single definition can also be fair use.

Patterns of behaviour thus become more significant if one is seeking to
establish the infringement of copyrights in a dictionary.  It would be
difficult to establish such patterns when many editors are working
independently.

Original definitions do present a different problem.  If someone
generates a new definition based solely on his own limited experience
with life that definition can be grossly inaccurate; that speaks to the
reliability of the work that contains it, which for us is Wiktionary.

Ec