[Wikipedia-l] no need to remove the article nor the chapter

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:50:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:10:31 -0500, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:03:06 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Soufron
> <jbsoufron at free.fr> wrote:
> > You can use your addition by itself if you want. It's not a derived
> > work in itself, only the combination of the 2 texts is.
>
> Unfortunately this isn't the case.... Check out the numerous cases of
> fan fiction that don't use a single word of the copyrighted work, but
> have still been ruled to be derived works.

Not because they have been 'contaminated' with the original text once,
but because they are using characters, situations, etcetera from a
copyrighted text. When someone starts claiming copyright on
characters, events etcetera from non-fiction texts Wikipedia can stop
working anyway.

> Inspired works are now starting to fall under copyright protection.
> This trend started with the inclusions of translations under the
> definition of derivative works and has been expanding since then....

So I guess I should never use a copyrighted book to get my information
for Wikipedia either?

Andre Engels