[Wikipedia-l] no need to remove the article nor the chapter

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at free.fr
Sun Mar 20 18:03:06 UTC 2005

> The *section* itself would be a derived work. But would the *changes*?
> If that's the case, copyright law is more stupid than I thought. If I
> take a copyrighted work and add my own ending to it, does that mean
> that later I cannot use that ending on an independent work?

No !

Your own a copyright on your addition. You just can't use the derived
work of the copyrighted text (the copyrighted text + your addition).
Logically, the author of the original text can neither use the derived
work. In fact, nobody can use the derived work without the
authorization of the other author.

You can use your addition by itself if you want. It's not a derived
work in itself, only the combination of the 2 texts is.

Jean-Baptiste Soufron
Intellectual Property and Contracts