[Wikipedia-l] no need to remove the article nor the chapter

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:32:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:40:27 -0700, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't believe we're referring to existing articles to which
> copyrighted text is added, but rather articles that were 100% copyvio
> but which are edited and thus become "derived works".

Well that was the issue that I brought up, existing articles where a
substantial amount of copyvio text is added.

Consider an entirely new section, all copyvio.  I think it's unlikely
that additions, even fairly substantial ones in that section could be
considered anything but derived works.

It becomes difficult to judge which edits are derived works,
ultimately you can't tell without a court opinion ... and since we'd
rather not go there, I contend that the only sure course of action
would be destroy all updates to an article past the point in time a
copyvio was added.

That might not be the best thing to do, but I think it's important to
discuss the risks of doing anything less.

Just like those running the big content distribution houses are
attempting to stop the all use of p2p applications because even
completely legal p2p use puts their business model at risk, wikipedia
will likely find itself threatened by content hoarders whom we are
outcompeating.