[Wikipedia-l] Re:WikiIndex (idea)

Matt Kingston matt_kingston at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 15:08:26 UTC 2005

>How about this:
>[[Category:1929 births]]
>[[Category:German authors]]
>[[Category:Women]]
>
>and on the article for "The Diary of a Young Girl" we could put
>[[Category:Books by Anne Frank]]

The difference is that there is no automated way to discover that [[Category:Books by Anne Frank]] is a list of [[Books]] or how they're related to [[Anne Frank]]. Categories are meant as a means to group many similar things together; not show relationships between two things. And we could have [[Category:Children of Otto Heinrich Frank]] but that seems a little bit silly.

It's not about reinventing the wheel, but rather figuring out what job we want to do and what tool is best to do it. We can make categories to show relationships, but I don't think it's the best tool for _that_ job.

Matt