[Wikipedia-l] Soundfiles; chicken and egg - now with loads of Italian politicians

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:00:15 UTC 2005

Hoi,

The use of .ogg files is a chicken and egg situation. Yes, we want
people to use .ogg files but when there are no .ogg files people will
not download the stuff they need to listen to it. There are many people
who do not upload soundfiles because it is not .wav or .mp3. There are
no sound files because people do not create them.

I propose that we have an ommlette and break some eggs. I have uploaded
some Dutch politicians, and I was really happy with the "George Walker
Bush" soundfile that I together with "Silvio Berlusconi" and "Jaap de
Hoop Scheffer" added to those wikipedia that have an article about these
gentlemen. Today I received the first installment of a large collection
of the pronunciations of Italian politicians from Sabine Cretella. They
are now available on the Commons. :)

What is needed to make this happen is people to record in the .ogg
format, upload it to Commons and make this the standard that it is; the
soundfile to be used on the Wikimedia projects. When we /show /that we
care about this standard, we can ask Mozilla.org to create a plugin. By
showing that we care, we make a difference.

By having LOADS of soundfiles in the .ogg format we can make this format
really relevant.

Thanks,
   GerardM