[Wikipedia-l] International cooperation on sounds

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 21:41:28 UTC 2005

Hoi,

Three people, all very active in Wiktionary, agreed that the
pronunciation of names and places are quit different in the non local
languages. Many wikipedias add how a place is written in the language
where this name is local.

The three people pronounced a few words and, they have been added to
commons. I have also been so bold to add these pronunciations to the
wikipedias that have an article on these illustrious people; they are
Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, Silvio Berlusconi and George Walker Bush. I have
added some famous Dutch politicians for good measure and, if you want me
to pronounce Dutch words, you can always ask. I am aware that not
everyone in a country pronounce things in the same way, but it is most
often superior to what you make up if you see the characters that make
up the name.

One request, please add those pronunciations of important people, places
etc to Commons, there is no better way of learning how something is to
be pronounced for someone who is not failiar with your language.

Thanks,
   GerardM