[Wikipedia-l] Re: NPOV

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 01:12:47 UTC 2005

Delirium wrote:
> Jack Lutz wrote:

>> On a similar note, see Bill Gates' essay on Encarta titled "The facts
>> "readers will get upset about content that may fly in the face of their
>> reality."

> This sounds exactly contrary to NPOV, a lot more like "write biased
> encyclopedias that will be more locally popular".

Pure marketing speak, and it does indeed fly in the face of NPOV. See
the recent fiery discussions on wikien-l about censorship and how people
were saying we needed it for marketing reasons, and never mind that
troublesome NPOV.

If NPOV makes people uncomfortable, too bad. It's essential to what
Wikipedia is.

- d.