[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wiktionary-l] new vote for switching off First Letter Capitalization on en.wiktionary.org

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Mar 12 00:44:01 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:
> ...speaking of which, capitalisation is a problem on Wikipedia.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/list_of_languages will give you a page
> different from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Languages or
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_Of_languages or
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIST_OF_LANGUAGES
>
> The arguement against removing capitalisation sensitivity is in my
> opinion a very weak one: the number of cases for which it serves as a
> natural disambiguation is very very small, and even in those cases
> somebody might use capitals or not use capitals and inadvertently end
> up at the wrong article.
>
> I think we need to get rid of case sensitivity once and for all.

The only argument against it is that it will require some effort to
implement and work into the existing system, and there are plenty of
bigger priorities.

We'll be in a better position to do this after the MediaWiki 1.5
release; the restructured tables will be lighter and easier to change.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)