[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wiktionary-l] new vote for switching off First Letter Capitalization on en.wiktionary.org

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:27:41 UTC 2005

Muke Tever wrote:

> Sabine Cretella <sabine_cretella at yahoo.it> wrote:
>
>> Who contributes simply takes the words he is "moving" (working on) off
>> the list - the admins have enough work with deleting all the re-directs
>> (or is there a way to do this automatically) maybe modifying the page
>> and writing "to be deleted" instead of the re-direct?
>

> Why delete the redirects?  You'll break all the old pages on the web
> that link
> to Wiktionary articles.
>
> You'll have to think of other wikimedia sites too.  For example
> en.wikipedia's
> "link to Wiktionary" template currently just uses {{PAGENAME}}, which
> will always
> be capitalized, because Wikipedia capitalizes all topics it treats.
>

>     *Muke!

Hoi,
You delete the redirects because they are plain wrong. A word that has
has both a capitalised version and a non capitalised version will be
split into two versions. The usage of wikipedia's link to Wiktionary
currently does indeed use PAGENAME, how do you know that it still refers
to the correct version of the word ?? You do not ! So it needs to be
changed as PAGENAME is not good enough.

It is feasible to change the PAGENAME to something else for instance a
genuine parameter that is either capitalised or not. I think it would be
feasible to have a bot check the occrurence of the old template and
change it for a capitalised or an  uncapitalised REAL parameter. So
practically all the instances of the current template need to be changed
anyway.

The decision of the capitalisation on en:wiktionary has been made, now
it is necessary to plan a good conversion plan. It will hurt and it will
be a lot of work. Extra painfull is the fact that the en:wiktionary did
not agree to change the first time round because MANY new words have
been added in the mean time. I think it is better to suffer a bit and do
a good job than to do an incomplete job and not remove the pain.

One other reason why you want to change the current wiktionary content
is because you will not add redirects for all the new words that will be
added in the future.

Thanks,
    GerardM