[Wikipedia-l] The role of a wikipedia for a language like Hopi

Ulf Lunde ulf.lunde at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:05:39 UTC 2005

Whoops, I owe an apology to the Swedes: the Swedish Wikipedia
is bigger than the Icelandic, even if you take the number of
speakers into account.

I also wanted to say that I agree that gerard Meijssen's point is very
important: The wikipedias are indeed culture-bearers for their
respective populations, and not just for humanity as a whole!

The Esperanto wikipedia is a good example of just this.  You'll find
plenty of articles there with information which might be considered
vanity, or at least not encyclopedic enough, in other languages'
wikipedias.

Verdlanco