[Wikipedia-l] IBM "history flow" study and Wikipedia

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 23:30:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:35:08 +0100, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:32:59 +0100, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed,  9 Mar 2005 12:25:53 +0100, Nicolas Weeger
> > <nicolas.weeger at laposte.net> wrote:
> > > I think there was a research paper (from the MIT?), some months/years ago, that analysed how a specific article on Wikipedia was modified, showing the slow modifications over time and a few big changes.
> >
> > This was the " history flow" study, and can be seen at
> > http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/history/
>
> Has there been contact with IBM about the possibility to use their
> work? For example, I think it would be interesting to create these
> diagrams for a large number of Wikipedia pages, and make those
> available.

Yes.  Two weeks ago, I visited the group that did the history flow
study, and spent a couple of hours talking to Martin Wattenberg about
their interest in wikis and some of their ongoing projects.

I'll write more about this later tonight, but they are thinking about
this -- one of them suggested the idea of running history flow on an
article once a week and producing a  little thumbnail that could
appear next to the article title -- and working on providing the tool
for others to use.

Jack Lutz wrote:
> I emailed  Martin Wattenberg  about using an image in their paper and did
> not receive a response.

Which image was it?

--
+sj+