[Wikipedia-l] alphabetical order

zhengzhu zhengzhu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 04:01:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:54:42 +0100, James R. Johnson
<modean52 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hey,
>
>             Is there any way to alter the alphabetical order used to sort
> lists of articles?  In the OE wiki, the letter æ (a and e together) should
> be alphabetized after a, so that "áetan, ániman, æfter" show up in that
> order, and ð and þ are arranged after d and t, respectively.  There are also
> accented vowels that should show up in their unaccented versions as well, so
> that and, ániman, and ánlíepig are all under the letter "A".
>
> James

The zh community have a more serious problem: they want different
sorting orders for Traditional and Simplified Chinese...

So I was looking at the related code, and it seems not too hard to
implement specific (but fixed) sorting order within one language.
However I only have limited time to work on this right now, and I
don't fully understand how the category thing works.So I put up a test
site with the basic implementation at http://tinyurl.com/5l24b. The
test site is in English, and the sorting order is altered so that x,
y, z come first, followed by a, b, c, etc.

The categorylinks tables will have to be rebuilt if this is to be
deployed at the live sites. Not sure how expensive that will be.

Interested parties please visit the test site and provide comments
either at the site or this list. If this seems to be a reasonable
solution I will check it into cvs. Test site is running 1.4 from cvs.

--
zhengzhu