[Wikipedia-l] Saterlandic Frisian Wikipedia

Wouter Steenbeek musiqolog at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 21:12:56 UTC 2005

Hi Boris!

Thanks for your feedback. The objections you pointed out certainly make
sense, and I have been fully aware ever since the idea of creating a
Saterfrisian Wikipedia came to my mind.

First: We might disagree slightly on the aim(s) of the Wikipedia project.
Its main goal is, of course, providing freely editable and downloadable
information. A second aim is to create encyclopaedias in as many languages
as possible.
You might be right in pointing out that a language with only less than 2,000
speakers is unlikely to achieve the size of, say, the Dutch one. But should
we care? A small encyclopaedia of only a few thousand articles would do
well, I think.

Second, you point out, by reason, the apparent lack of interest with
speakers of many languages whose Wikipedias do not expand. But there is no
direct link between the number of speakers and the number of articles;
indeed, small languages like Cornish (perhaps twice as much speakers as
Seeltersk) do relatively well, while numerous other major or middle sized
language Wikipedias seem never to emerge from their slumber. It is for a
great deal a PR matter. If some of those young Saterfrisians who became
fluent acquired speakers in recent days can be enthousiasmed for this
project, it will have at least a chance to succeed.

Third, you pose, by reason, that all of the Seeltersk speakers comprehend
(both High and Low) German. The German wikipedia, being the second largest
of all, can indeed provide sufficient information for everything the
Saterfrisians wish to know. But that argument, if used against this and
similar initiatives, would take the base away under the Westlauwer, Low
Saxon, Alemannic, Limburgish, Friulian, Romansch, Provençal and many other
Wikipedias. A language is not only, though mainly, a means of communication,
but also an important bearer of culture. Endangered and small languages need
to be cultivated and, in these modern days, they can only survive if they
are frequently used in situations formerly reserved to the major languages
they are threatened by. I my opinion, a Wikipedia in the concerning language
would enhance its status and support its claims and struggle for recognition
(though Seeltersk is already recognised).

Finally, you are right in pointing out I am not a native speaker; I speak
Dutch (proper) as my native language. But checking the Requests list on
Wikimedia you must encounter Scott Gall, who recently proposed several new
Wikipedias in languages that are not his native one (and some of which are
even smaller and more endangered than Seeltersk). It seems to be not so
unusual. Actually, that zealous user directly inspired me to request a
Wikipedia in Seeltersk.

Wouter Steenbeek