[Wikipedia-l] Automatically checking for copyright violations

Roger Luethi collector at hellgate.ch
Tue Jun 21 14:21:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:57:37 +0200, Angela wrote:
> The second part of the email suggests it is too difficult to contact
> us about copyright violations. With the addition of the "contact us"
> link in the sidebar, I thought this would stop being a problem. Is
> there any other way of making it easier?

How about clarifying policies so editors actually know what they are
supposed to do? I've been harping about this on quite a few occasions:
All clearly spelled out policy is concerned with "the most recent edit
is a copyvio". What if it is only noticed several or many edits later?

I have looked for WP policy on this very issue, and like others who
did the same, I could not find anything conclusive.

In my opinion, we must revert to the last version that was not a
copyvio, and then salvage whatever we can from later edits. However,
in my experience, mine is a minority position. Which is why I gave up
on tracking down copyvios -- what's the point if people reinstate the
copyvio version and then change a couple of words to disguise what
they did?

Roger