[Wikipedia-l] www.wikipedia.org portal

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Jan 30 15:02:02 UTC 2005

Matt Brown (morven at gmail.com) [050130 16:32]:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:26:04 +0200, NSK <nsk2 at wikinerds.org> wrote:

> > Unfortunately as it is I cannot use it properly, it is not compatible with
> > Konqie. See http://www.konqueror.org/css/
> > Please avoid using CSS2 and limit yourself on CSS1.

> Given that that document seems to state that much CSS2 works perfectly
> fine with Konqueror, and that Konqueror users are a seriously minor
> percentage of the world's users, a blanket ban on CSS2 simply because
> Konqueror has some issues seems a bit over-the-top to me.
> Of course, a work-around that doesn't tickle that particular Konqueror
> bug would be preferable.

KHTML before the Safari (Dave Hyatt) changes were folded in was really not
very good with CSS and so forth. Of course, it wasn't nearly as bad as IE.

Graceful degradation in old and crappy browsers is absolutely essential.
Preferably without too much br*ws*r sn*ff*ng.

(Have a look at http://mozilla.org/start/1.0/ and detect-problems.js - that
was designed to let things work beautifully in Gecko, degrade tolerably in
Opera and Konq 2.x/3.0 and go to far too much effort to work around the
stupidity of IE. Netscape 4.x, we just let break ...)

- d.