[Wikipedia-l] Re: recipes

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 22:00:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:20:19 -0800, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales
<jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> There is no finer description of a dish than a recipe, with major
> variants noted.  This is why I say that a simple rule is wrong.  It is
> true that a recipe should make up a part of a larger overall entry
> which explains the history, description, use, cultural context,
> geographical extent, etc.  But such descriptions can be very well
> enhanced by having a recipe as well.

But exactly because it's so fine, it is not usable. There are all
kinds of recipes for the same dish, and they all are different. Either
you go POV and say that one recipe is good, and the other is bad, or
you keep yourself to such generalities that what remains is a
"description" rather than a "recipe". I prefer the second.

Andre Engels